Monday, June 19, 2006

HmmMMmmm...*sigh*


AB, with LoVely JaN aNd Sweet JaS



The PuNkeRs



HmmMMmmm...I feel like writing something in here coz it's been ages since I last did but my mind seems to be blank at the moment...A lot of things have happen recently...in the past two months...Here's a summary of it..


13th May - Asian Banquet
As you can tell from the topic, we had an Asian banquet with a wedding theme to it. This was a fundraising event organised by ICF. I was one of the committee member's in charge of volunteers. There were three weddings ceremonies - Malay, Chinese, and Indian. We had various performances linked with each wedding theme. There was the Lion dance (by ACM), Chinese tea ceremony, Bersanding, Esther's "Belaian Jiwa" (which was awesome, great voice and talent), the walk around the fire thing and some Bollywood dancing. The food was also incorporated into the theme, we had dishes such as curry, acha, sweet and sour fish, rendang etc. There were delicious and specially made by some very gifted and generous (time and effort) people. Overall, the night was grand, just like how a banquet should be. As I look back, I am amazed at how a team of 7 (Mich, Isaac, Fran, Leesa, Josh, Jas and myself) of us could pull off such a thing. I know that we may have struggled a bit and had a few hiccups along the way especially in our planning and preparation for this event BUT God has been wonderful, when you lease expect it, He is there for you to lean a shoulder on as long as you are willing to surrender your burdens at His feet. I felt that being a part of the committee has taught me a lot, it is just like with the bookstall early this year, I have learnt to trust Him more and to have faith that I can do all things through Him. During the journey, I have also met and gotten to know a lot of people better, their talents and capabilities. I am proud to have met, known and be Bless with such friends. Thank you God!

29th May - Placement begins
This was when I started my placement at Capitol City Preschool on McDonald Crescent. I went in with a doubtful attitude because I wasn't sure of what to expect. Having had two previous placements last year (which was a wee while ago) and considering there were in a 1.Childcare centre (mix ages), 2.Toddlers crech (2-3year olds). It was a totally different thing when you are in a Preschool or Kindy, the children are much more mature and independent. They have a better understanding of things and are capable of telling you what they think. I was doubtful because I wasn't sure about how I would manage this slight change of environment even though I have been working part time as a reliever at toddlers. This was put to rest when I was warmly welcome by M, one of the children there. She is such a darl and turns out to be the child I have decided to do my assignment on. Even though, part of what I have mention earlier is true, I have been capable of managing it despite taking a wee while in getting used to it. The team of teachers there are nice, helpful, supportive and caring which has made me feel at home. Parents are also friendly. I have also been on excursions to the library and fire station. The Preschool has also cool activities such as dancing, going to the gym and music time. Over the past three weeks, I have gotten to know the children better and have even made some dear attachments. I have also built a friendship with my associate whom I am grateful to have known. She has taught me a lot and has always been supportive. I was also touched when the children and teachers celebrated my birthday on Friday by baking me a cake and having a party. Tomorrow will be my last day at Capitol City Preshcool. I will definitely miss all the children, teachers and parents.

9th of June - My party
After two week's worth of planning (looking for venues, sorting out the invites, theme and date), this day finally came. I manage to get a good deal at Southern Cross which had a really nice ambience; it was worth it, every single penny. The night started out with me being just on time for the party and I'm surprise to see people showing up on time. I was nearly late coz Viv did my hair (thanks! you did a great job) and we had to pick the cake up so we took longer than I thought we would. Karen and the band had started playing when I got there and they sounded good. I was so happy that Karen and the band were willing to play for my party. It was one of the best birthday presents ever. Thanks Karen. By the way, you really look like a punk that night and you have great talent. People started pouring in between 8.30 to 9.00 while the band played in the background. I was busy trying to mingle around with everyone and at the same time take pictures. Even though, there were a few hiccups with the ID thingy and I was sad that some people had to leave but overall most things worked out at the party. Jan and Jas did a great job mc-ing and getting everyone into the party mood with questioners about me. I was also pleased with Viv, Jason and Jo as well as Uncle Winsome for taking pictures and video-ing. The cake and food was great although I didn't actually get to taste the food (people said it was). The slideshow finally worked after sometime and Mich did a really good job on it considering she had only two days to work on it. Shan had also done a great job on it previously. I also enjoyed having two Vodka sunrise throuhgout the night, was surprise that mom bought me a Bourbon coke which I didn't finish. The turnout was great, 70-80 outa 100. A group of us decided to go clubbing after the party since the night was still young. I had so much fun since the last time I went, it didn't really work out. To mark the end of the night, instead of having coffee like we intended to, we had supper at BK as we were all hungry especially me. I'm glad that everything worked out in the end and I had fun. Thanks to everyone who contributed in various ways. I had an awesome night!!!! : P

10th June - History repeats
This is the day where history repeats itself, I once again dislocate my shoulder after nearly two years since I last did. It started out with a friendly match of basketball as we could not play captain ball at Anderson Park like usual. I was enjoying myself as I could not really play basketball and we were playing a game which was a combination of basketball and netball as well as freestyle. The dislocation of my shoulder was so sudden that I was amazed when it happened. I could not really explain how it happened but somehow my arm just pop outa my shoulder's socket and that was it. The next thing I knew was that I knelt down on the ground as I wasn't sure whether it had gone back or not. By then, everyone had stopped playing and realise what was wrong but no one dared put it back for me. I was bless that Aunty Sonia (radiologist) was around and even though putting back dislocated shoulders wasn't really her expertise, she was somehow able to get it back again. At that moment, when she was about to put it back in and before it was in, the pain was so tremendous that I cannot explain it, you need to experience it for yourself to know. I just wanna thanks God that my arm went back into my shoulders properly. I spent 2 and a half hours at the hospital after that as Aunty Sonia was on the way there (on call) and she wanted me to get an X-ray to make sure that it was back in place. So, I went along, Jo helped me to fill the form and we had to wait at least 15minutes before I was called in. While I was I waiting, there were lotsa people who came in with different kinds of accidents, some similar to mine others slightly worse. It must have been a day of accidents. Partly why I was there for 2 and half hours was because the doctor who had seen me had to also stitch up someone's face in between. I'm glad that the checkup was "all clear" and that I only needed to wear a sling. BUT, I will need to go in again to see an orthopedic, who will determine then whether I need surgery to prevent this situation from happening again. I have an appointment for the 24th of June so we will just have to see then.

17th June - Officially 21
I slept at 3am after having desserts at Strawberry fare with Esther, Ruby and Jamna (it was cool to have made another friend), car trip around the neighbourhood and a long chat with Esther and Ruby previously. I was woken up by dad at 8.20am, was lil annoyed but I got a surprise birthday call from Dee, it was so special of her to call me considering the time difference and I'm actually glad that dad woke me up. At first, I wasn't even sure whether it was her or that I was just dreaming about hearing her voice. We had a really nice conversation even though I was half awake but I was still able to decipher what we were talking about during that time. It was 10 years ago that I got to know Dee and I'm glad that she's still a part of my life after all this years *Thanks for the tears, encouragement, support, love and prayers* From this time onwards after I got the call (which was 9am-ish), I started getting texts from people wishing me and also partly arranging my plans for the day with Shan, Ruth and Fi. I didn't get as much sleep as I would like to have but it was fine. I postponed my appointment from 11 to 11.30am. I got up at around 11 and started getting ready while helping Jo sort out the pizzas for her party. When I finally met up with Ruth and Shan, it was 12pm so we were all hungry and had lunch at Chumeeze. Fi came to meet us after. I spent the whole day shopping with Shan, Ruth and Fi. I manage to use my voucher that Ruth, Josh, Jer and Penny gave for my birthday. I bought two nice winter tops. We also got Rach's birthday pressie. After all that tedious shopping from shop to shop, Ruth and Fi and I went to Starbucks for some nice chocolate cake (Shan had to leave for another event). Ruth and Fi sang me a birthday song in Starbucks (I couldn't believe it) but it was so sweet of them to do so. I decide to hang at Ruth's before we headed for Rach's party. I had a nice conversation with Ruth and got to know her flat mate, Sharee better. At 7.30pm, Ruth, Josh and I starting making a move to Ramsey house. The party was awesome (first Kiwi 21st that I've been to), lotsa yummy finger food and I love the punch, Rach's dad and mom gave a great speech and so did her friends. I was touched when Rach included me in her speech by wishing me. At around 9.30ish, Jan, Fi, Jer and myself headed back to Ruth's to watch the Rugby (halftime coz we didn't know how to leave Rach's party without feeling bad). It wasn't a very good game but I'm still happy the All Blacks won. Now, I know what a true rugby fan is like, thanks Ruth. By the time I got home it was Sunday but I had a really good day. I guess turning 21 isn't as bad as it is. Looking forward to His plans for me in the next few years to come after this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home