Monday, April 20, 2009

Minty 101

It’s been nearly 2 months and a bit since I first started doing Minty (Ministry Internship Year) with Tertiary Students Christian Fellowship (http://www.tscf.org.nz). The journey started in a bach, Raumati beach where six of us Minterns (Greg, Nathan, Phil, Sarah, Suey and I) together with our awesome co-coordinator, TiMothy and my lovely supervisor, Gina Wong spent 6 beautiful days together. We learned about what is Minty (http://www.tscf.org.nz/minty/) and got to know each other better.


Post Minty 1…

Orientation and Clubs Day @ Massey
Orientation at Massey started on the third week of February. I was able to meet and talk to a few American students and an Indonesian student, Yessy (who was initially a student a Victoria University). Since orientation, I have been keeping in touch with Yessy. We have met up once for dinner where we had an interesting conversation about what it is like being a Muslim in her home country and overseas.

As for Clubs Day, we had a few sign ups from students. These were students who were interested in getting connected with a Christian group on campus as we well as to do Bible studies.


Buddy Program
One of the highlights since the start of my internship was an encounter with a Japanese student, Natsumi Hayakawa. Natsumi together with about 30 other Japanese students from Tokyo and Osaka was here for a three week exchange language program with Massey Wellington. The first time I met Natsumi was as a buddy. I would take around 5-7 students on a specific activity such as a visit to the Cable car or the Weta workshop museum. Natsumi and I have only spent three days together over a span of three weeks. The second time I met Natsumi was during the church tour around Wellington, she asked if I was a Christian (previously, I had been advised by the coordinator of the buddy program not to speak about Christianity). I thought that since Natsumi asked, I wasn’t breaking any rules so I said ‘yes’ and I asked if she knew much about Christianity. Further on in the conversation, I discovered that Natsumi wasn’t a Christian but has been studying the Bible in Japan with her dance instructor. Towards the end of our conversation, I decided to invite Natsumi to one of the ICF Friday meetings and she came along that week. Natsumi really enjoyed the Bible study that Friday evening and was encouraged to continue reading and studying the Bible when she returned to Japan. I was able to give her a Bible from Manna which was her also her request when we both hung out outside of the buddy program.


NewsWatch
I have also been involved with NewsWatch at Massey. Newswatch is a program that is geared at helping International students with their English/the English language. During NewsWatch, both students and volunteer helpers would watch and listen to a recording of two bits news as a group. In the first screening of the news, the students would listen to the news while the helpers would jot down phrases or words that the students might find difficult to understand. In the second round of screening, the students would write down the words and phrases that they do not understand. After this, both helpers and students would come together in smaller groups and discussed the words and phrases that have been recorded from the two bits of news. NewsWatch is a really good opportunity to connect with International students at Massey Wellington.


Give thanks for…

-The opportunities that I have so far with students at Massey from Orientation, Clubs Day and NewsWatch program.

- The encounter with Natsumi Hayakawa from the buddy program.

Pray for…

- The ongoing effort with the students from Orientation, Clubs Day and NewsWatch program, that God will continue to work in the hearts of these students.

- Natsumi as she continues to study the Bible both in English and Japanese in Japan that God will speak to her through His scriptures.

- Girls Bible study group. A group of girls who come together and study the Bible.

- My financial support/fundraising effort that God will continue to gather people around who are faithful to Him and committed to contribute to support His ministry on campus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home